U. R. Thube M.A.,M.Phil.Principal (I/C)
- Chattrapati Rajarshi Shahu Maharaj of Kolhapur Dynasty is the source of inspiration behind the establishment of this premier institute of education devoted to the cause of education of the poor strata of the society in general and girl students in particular.
- In the memory of Karveer Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj IV who was humiliated and assassinated in the Ahmednagar Fort by the British and cremated on the site opposite to this educational complex. Shahu Maharaj sanctioned special grants in 1918 for building of Maratha Boarding.
- The teaching of Mahatma Jyotiba Phule, Rajarshi Shahu Maharaj, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar and Maharshi Vitthal Ramji Shinde are the guiding principles before the founders of this institution.The Sanstha development during last 90 years is in consistent with its motto “Tejo Si Tejo Me Dehi”
- New Arts, Commerce & Science College, Ahmednagar established in 1970 is one of the many educational institutes successfully run by the Sanstha. Started with a mere strength of 160 students in the year of its establishment, this college is now one of the biggest affiliated colleges of Pune University in Ahmednagar district, having student strength of more than 9500. The college is developed not merely quantitatively but also qualitatively. National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) Bangalore, accredited the college with “A” grade in the year 2003-2004. In the same year, University of Pune honored the college with the “Best College Award” under the Quality Improvement Program.
- Many of our students are excelling in the academic, political and social fields. Our students have been awarded with prestigious Shiv. Chattrapati Awards for sports. A large number of our past students have occupied top positions in Government and Private Organizations.
- Realizing the importance of new trends in higher education, college has established the graduate and post graduate courses in the emerging areas such as Biotechnology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Drug Chemistry, Communication Studies, Computer Science,
- Environmental Science, Industrial Mathematics, Management Studies, B.B.A., B.C.A. Vocational courses in Computer and Taxation and Career Oriented Courses in Travel and Tourism. In fact, the college has made available the facilities for majority of the subjects offered by the Pune University.
- Recently, we are emphasizing more on quality post-graduate teaching, especially in the emerging areas. This will help to train the student of this region to the highest level of learning. As post graduate teaching and research go hand in hand, we are promoting research activity in each department, giving more importance to the interdisciplinary research. Recognizing the quality of P.G. teaching and research activities in Industrial Mathematics in our college, the UGC sanctioned special grant for P.G. Diploma in Industrial Mathematics, under the Scheme of Innovative Program in Emerging interdisciplinary areas.
- State of – the – art laboratories, spacious playground and gymkhana, decent hostels and rich library are the special features of the college. We are providing Internet facilities of 2 MB speed (Broad band connectivity) accessible to all the students in college library. Each Department is also equipped with Internet facility easily accessible to both students and teachers. Being pioneer in the computer education in the district, our computer laboratory is one of the best laboratories in the Pune University. Realizing the need of hardware courses in computer science, the college has started two such diploma courses from academic year 2006-07. These courses are accredited by DOEACC – an autonomous body of Central Govt.
- In the globalized era knowledge is power. The quality and excellence are the prerequisites for the survival of an educational institution. We decided to reorient every aspect of our college; so as to enable us to achieve international standards. Our aim is to equip the students and teachers with the skills required in the globalised society marked by Information and Communication Technology (ICT). Our emphasis is on restructuring every component of education i.e. learning, teaching, research and extension to make education relevant to present needs of the society.
- Objective of imparting higher education is not merely producing literates but also develop skills in students that will enable them to compete and succeed in future life and also actively participate in building nation. We expect that every student be acquire necessary skills in career oriented courses simultaneously with regular courses of studies. Hence we have launched Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma Career Oriented Courses in various specialized areas. This will help in vocationalising the higher education. The Certificate and Diploma Courses in Foreign Languages such as German, French, Spanish, Japanese and Russian are conducted by the college.
- We have undertaken Soft-Skill Development Program to develop overall personality of the students and equip them in communication skills and interview techniques.
- We have concentrated on placement of students through campus interviews. The placement cell of the college enhances liaison between college and industries and help students for placement in reputed organizations. During the year 2007-08, large number of IT and Chemical Industries visited our college and selected many students offering attractive salary packages.
- Though we have achieved a lot, a lot more is yet to be achieved. The following lines of Robert Frost always remind us of our objectives:
“ The woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep”.